13 April 2009: It was with deep regret that the secretariat of Badminton World Federation learnt of the passing of Betty Scheele in England. She was 95 years of age. In recent years, she has been under medical care and confined to the nursing home.
Bety will be fondly remembered as one half of the inseparable Herbert-Betty Scheele team that graced the top echelon of administration of international badminton through the thirties until the 1980s.
Betty was the wife of Herbert Scheele, one of the icons of the sport and a highly respected figure on and off the court. Herbert was secretary to the then International Badminton Federation for some 39 years from 1937 and was considered an authority on the rules of the sport. And Betty was famously referred to as the ‘unpaid secretary’ to the Honorary Secretary of the IBF.
She was always by his side, assisting him with his administrative duties and softly prompting words of support.
On the occasion of the death of Herbert in March 1981, the then president of the IBF Stellan Mohlin, wrote to Betty, “Today my thoughts are going to you, who so wholeheartedly always stood at Herbert’s side, helped him, fed him, enjoyed life with him and when I speak of Mrs Badminton, it is in the truest sense. We have all a great deal of respect for what you are and always have been. It would be correct to say that without you Betty, Herbert would never have been able to do all that he achieved for the sport. “
That probably sums up the person of Betty Scheele… who was inexhaustible in her support for the sport and the people who run and play it.
After Herbert had passed away, Betty continued to travel the world to attend international events. She remained a familiar, cheerful and welcome face at the All England and the larger continental championships.
In 2002 she was taken ill suffering from pneumonia and from thence her physical condition deteriorated and she was confined to a nursing home.
Betty Scheele’s funeral services have been arranged for 14 April at 11.45am at Randalls Park Crematorium, Leatherhead, Cobham Road.
- An Olympic medal… finally!
- At Wembley, following Saina’s match
- Heading to the semis!
- At the Olympics….
- The intersection of memories… and a stolen bag
- Jr ABC: Zulkiffli outclasses Sameer
- Sameer powers into Asian Jr final
- Sindhu, Sameer crash Chinese party
- Athletes knowingly take dope: Saina
- Bonanza for Malaysian badminton
- August 2012
- October 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- April 2008
- 31,724 hits
- On Hoyer-Larsen: sportskeeda.com/2013/05/23/hoy… 4 years ago
- Dusty Trails: the latest issue :) issuu.com/dustytrails/do… 4 years ago
- My preview and predictions for the All England finals: sportskeeda.com/2013/03/10/all… 4 years ago
- Another giant of the game passes away. RIP Eddy Choong. sportskeeda.com/2013/01/29/rip… 4 years ago
- Interview with Ashwini Ponnappa: sportskeeda.com/2013/01/22/int… 4 years ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- aditi mutatkar ajay jayaram all england all england badminton anand pawar anup sridhar arundhati pantwane arvind bhat badminton badminton asia championships Badminton Asia Youth Under-19 Championships badminton association of india badminton world federation bwf chen changjie chetan anand china diju doping eriko hirose erland kops guru sai dutt hong kong super series hs prannoy indian badminton india open superseries indonesia open jwala gutta kashyap kenichi tago korea open super series lee chong wei liem swie king li lingwei lin dan li yongbo lu lan maharashtra badminton league malaysia open gp gold morten frost peter gade p kashyap porntip prakash jolly prakash padukone punch gunalan pune pv sindhu rupesh kumar ruth misha saina nehwal sai praneeth sameer verma sanave thomas singapore open singapore open superseries 2011 sourabh verma sudirman cup super series swiss open taufik hidayat thomas cup tom john uber cup wang lin wang shixian wang xin world badminton championships world games world junior championships world juniors xie xingfang youth olympics zhang ning zhu lin