Ranchi: Promising youngster Arundhati Pantawante and rising star Guru Sai Dutt clinched the singles titles as the badminton competition concluded at the 34th National Games on Monday. The Nagpur girl came from behind to oust Kerala’s PC Thulasi for the title.
In the men’s singles summit clash, Guru Sai of Andhra Pradesh recovered from a set down to defeat Karnataka’s Aditya Prakash.
Having ousted top seed and statemate Sayali Gokhale in the semifinals on Sunday, the 21-year-old Arundhati continued her fine run as she pipped Thulasi 14-21, 21-17, 21-15 in close encounter.
Her father an athletics coach and mother a former athlete, Arundhati’s first choice was 100m and 200m but soon she became addicted to badminton and she went on to join the Gopichand Academy, where she has been training for the last four years.
She came to prominence after making the final of the Nationals and in the Estonian Open.
In the men’s final, Guru Sai recovered quickly after losing the first set against an error-prone Aditya Prakash to win with 16-21, 21-10, 21-18.
“I know his play well. It was about keeping the line right and I was confident that I would wrap it up. Soon my game started working as I got the smashes right,” Guru Sai said.
The Andhra duo of Jyotshna Polavarapu and Nelakurthi Sikkireddy clinched the women’s doubles title beating Maharashtra’s Sampada Sahasrabuddhe and Pradnya 21-16, 21-18.
Alwin Francis and Arun Vishnu of Kerala beat Jishnu Sanyal and Akshay Dewalkar 21-12, 26-24 for the men’s title.
- An Olympic medal… finally!
- At Wembley, following Saina’s match
- Heading to the semis!
- At the Olympics….
- The intersection of memories… and a stolen bag
- Jr ABC: Zulkiffli outclasses Sameer
- Sameer powers into Asian Jr final
- Sindhu, Sameer crash Chinese party
- Athletes knowingly take dope: Saina
- Bonanza for Malaysian badminton
- August 2012
- October 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- April 2008
- 31,293 hits
- On Hoyer-Larsen: sportskeeda.com/2013/05/23/hoy… 3 years ago
- Dusty Trails: the latest issue :) issuu.com/dustytrails/do… 3 years ago
- My preview and predictions for the All England finals: sportskeeda.com/2013/03/10/all… 4 years ago
- Another giant of the game passes away. RIP Eddy Choong. sportskeeda.com/2013/01/29/rip… 4 years ago
- Interview with Ashwini Ponnappa: sportskeeda.com/2013/01/22/int… 4 years ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- aditi mutatkar ajay jayaram all england all england badminton anand pawar anup sridhar arundhati pantwane arvind bhat badminton badminton asia championships Badminton Asia Youth Under-19 Championships badminton association of india badminton world federation bwf chen changjie chetan anand china diju doping eriko hirose erland kops guru sai dutt hong kong super series hs prannoy indian badminton india open superseries indonesia open jwala gutta kashyap kenichi tago korea open super series lee chong wei liem swie king li lingwei lin dan li yongbo lu lan maharashtra badminton league malaysia open gp gold morten frost peter gade p kashyap porntip prakash jolly prakash padukone punch gunalan pune pv sindhu rupesh kumar ruth misha saina nehwal sai praneeth sameer verma sanave thomas singapore open singapore open superseries 2011 sourabh verma sudirman cup super series swiss open taufik hidayat thomas cup tom john uber cup wang lin wang shixian wang xin world badminton championships world games world junior championships world juniors xie xingfang youth olympics zhang ning zhu lin