Basel: Birthday girl Saina Nehwal overcame a spirited challenge from French qualifier Sashina Vignes Waran to set up a second-round clash with Japanese Eriko Hirose in the Wilson Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold in Switzerland.
World number four Saina, who turned 21 on Thursday, shrugged off initial jittery to notch up a 23-21, 21-9 victory over Sashina in her campaign opener in the women’s singles on Wednesday night.
The second seed Indian will now clash with Eriko, who had spoilt her campaign in the All England Championships last week with a straight-game defeat in the quarterfinals in Birmingham.
Eriko, meanwhile, beat Judith Meulendijks of the Netherlands in the first round of the Swiss Open.
In the men’s singles, Ajay Jayaram will take on 16th seed Hans-Kristian Vittinghus of Denmark in the third round after notching up a hard-fought 22-20 22-20 win over Tan Yuhan of Belgium in the second round. Jayaram had beaten Vittinghus in the second qualifying round of the All England to enter the main draw.
Anand Pawar, however, lost to fifth seed Wan Ho Shon of Korea 21-17, 15-21, 18-21.
India’s number one P Kashyap had become a first round casualty after losing 21-10, 19-21, 19-21 to Sven Eric Kastens of Germany on the opening day.
Commonwealth Games gold medallists pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa will take on seventh seeds Japanese combo and All England finalists Shizuka Matsuo and Mami Naito in the second round after beating Germany duo of Johanna Goliszewski and Carla Nelte 21-15, 21-13.
However, Jwala and V Diju could not conjure up the same magic and lost to eighth seeded Korean pair of Lee Yong Dae and Ha Eun Jung 14-21, 9-21 in the second round.
In men’s doubles category, Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas beat Michael Fuchs and Oliver Roth 21-19, 21-16 and will take on sixth seeds Mads Conrad-Petersen and Jonas Rasmussen of Denmark in the second round. PTI
- An Olympic medal… finally!
- At Wembley, following Saina’s match
- Heading to the semis!
- At the Olympics….
- The intersection of memories… and a stolen bag
- Jr ABC: Zulkiffli outclasses Sameer
- Sameer powers into Asian Jr final
- Sindhu, Sameer crash Chinese party
- Athletes knowingly take dope: Saina
- Bonanza for Malaysian badminton
- August 2012
- October 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- April 2008
- 31,553 hits
- On Hoyer-Larsen: sportskeeda.com/2013/05/23/hoy… 4 years ago
- Dusty Trails: the latest issue :) issuu.com/dustytrails/do… 4 years ago
- My preview and predictions for the All England finals: sportskeeda.com/2013/03/10/all… 4 years ago
- Another giant of the game passes away. RIP Eddy Choong. sportskeeda.com/2013/01/29/rip… 4 years ago
- Interview with Ashwini Ponnappa: sportskeeda.com/2013/01/22/int… 4 years ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- aditi mutatkar ajay jayaram all england all england badminton anand pawar anup sridhar arundhati pantwane arvind bhat badminton badminton asia championships Badminton Asia Youth Under-19 Championships badminton association of india badminton world federation bwf chen changjie chetan anand china diju doping eriko hirose erland kops guru sai dutt hong kong super series hs prannoy indian badminton india open superseries indonesia open jwala gutta kashyap kenichi tago korea open super series lee chong wei liem swie king li lingwei lin dan li yongbo lu lan maharashtra badminton league malaysia open gp gold morten frost peter gade p kashyap porntip prakash jolly prakash padukone punch gunalan pune pv sindhu rupesh kumar ruth misha saina nehwal sai praneeth sameer verma sanave thomas singapore open singapore open superseries 2011 sourabh verma sudirman cup super series swiss open taufik hidayat thomas cup tom john uber cup wang lin wang shixian wang xin world badminton championships world games world junior championships world juniors xie xingfang youth olympics zhang ning zhu lin