Alor Setar: World No.4 Saina Nehwal continued to blitz through the Malaysia Open GP Gold, scoring a morale-boosting win over close rival and world champion Wang Lin of China in the quarterfinals. The top-seeded Indian beat Wang in a tight three setter, 14-21 21-19 21-19.
“God helped me recover fast from my injury,” said Saina, referring to her less-than-peak fitness that saw her first-round exit at the India Open. “It gives me immense satisfaction to beat the world champion.”
Saina will next take on Sung Ji Hyun of Korea in the semifinals. Sung caused another upset for China, with a thrilling win over third seed Jiang Yanjiao.
The Chinese world champion, who was off the circuit for six months owing to an injury, had to go through qualifying. She overwhelmed the Indian in the first game, but the second was a tight, neck-and-neck battle until 15-all. Saina jumped ahead 18-15, and kept her nose ahead to force a decider.
In the third, Wang Lin remained ahead throughout, and even had a 18-14 lead. To her credit, Saina refused to give up, caught up at 18, and edged ahead for the win.
World No.2 Wang Xin progressed to the semis in the bottom half of the draw.
In the men’s singles, top seed Lee Chong Wei was untroubled in a 21-17 21-8 win over Frenchman Brice Leverdez, and will face Japan’s Sho Sasaki in the semis. In the other semis, Vietnam’s Nguyen Tien Minh takes on China’s Bao Chunlai.
MS: 1-Lee Chong Wei bt Brice Leverdez 21-17 21-8; 11-Sho Sasaki bt 6-Park Sung Hwan 12-21 21-8 21-16; 3-Nguyen Tien Minh bt Sony DK 21-18 5-1 retd; 7-Bao Chunlai bt Lee Hyun Il 21-18 13-21 21-9
WS: 1-Saina Nehwal bt Q-Wang Lin 14-21 21-19 21-19; 7-Sung Ji Hyun bt 3-Jiang Yanjiao 25-23 13-21 21-18; 4-Bae Youn Joo bt Aprilia Yuswandari 21-16 21-10; 2-Wang Xin bt Ai Goto 23-21 21-16
- An Olympic medal… finally!
- At Wembley, following Saina’s match
- Heading to the semis!
- At the Olympics….
- The intersection of memories… and a stolen bag
- Jr ABC: Zulkiffli outclasses Sameer
- Sameer powers into Asian Jr final
- Sindhu, Sameer crash Chinese party
- Athletes knowingly take dope: Saina
- Bonanza for Malaysian badminton
- August 2012
- October 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- April 2008
- 31,724 hits
- On Hoyer-Larsen: sportskeeda.com/2013/05/23/hoy… 4 years ago
- Dusty Trails: the latest issue :) issuu.com/dustytrails/do… 4 years ago
- My preview and predictions for the All England finals: sportskeeda.com/2013/03/10/all… 4 years ago
- Another giant of the game passes away. RIP Eddy Choong. sportskeeda.com/2013/01/29/rip… 4 years ago
- Interview with Ashwini Ponnappa: sportskeeda.com/2013/01/22/int… 4 years ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- aditi mutatkar ajay jayaram all england all england badminton anand pawar anup sridhar arundhati pantwane arvind bhat badminton badminton asia championships Badminton Asia Youth Under-19 Championships badminton association of india badminton world federation bwf chen changjie chetan anand china diju doping eriko hirose erland kops guru sai dutt hong kong super series hs prannoy indian badminton india open superseries indonesia open jwala gutta kashyap kenichi tago korea open super series lee chong wei liem swie king li lingwei lin dan li yongbo lu lan maharashtra badminton league malaysia open gp gold morten frost peter gade p kashyap porntip prakash jolly prakash padukone punch gunalan pune pv sindhu rupesh kumar ruth misha saina nehwal sai praneeth sameer verma sanave thomas singapore open singapore open superseries 2011 sourabh verma sudirman cup super series swiss open taufik hidayat thomas cup tom john uber cup wang lin wang shixian wang xin world badminton championships world games world junior championships world juniors xie xingfang youth olympics zhang ning zhu lin