Singapore: Arundhati Pantwane was the only Indian to survive the qualifying rounds of the Singapore Open Superseries on Monday. Arundhati earned a creditable win over Taipei’s Chen Hsiao Huan in the first round, and then got past Michelle Li of Canada to book a place against another Chinese Taipei player, Tzu Ying Tai, in the first round of the main draw. The Indian joins her senior compatriot Saina Nehwal in main draw action on Wednesday.
Both Indians in the men’s singles qualifying, Guru Sai Dutt and Ajay Jayaram, crashed out. Jayaram offered a torrid test to former All England champion Hafiz Hashim, who just about survived 21-15 14-21 24-22 in the first round, while Guru Sai Dutt won his first round qualifying but fell in the second. Guru got past Hsuan Yi Hsueh (Tpe) 16-21 21-18 21-12, but was outclassed by Thailand left-hander Tanongsak 22-20 21-16. That leaves P Kashyap as the only Indian in the men’s singles. Kashyap takes on Park Sung Hwan on Wednesday.
Arundhati’s match against Chen was a tight affair all through. Arundhati led briefly in the latter part of the first game, but Chen surged ahead in the closing moments and took the first game. Arundhati regrouped and set a big lead in the second game, going up 17-12, but Chen fought back to equalize at 17-all. The Indian refused to buckle and nailed the last four points to take the match into a third game.
The third was tense all the way, with barely a couple of points’ difference. The Indian kept her nerve in the final moments to pluck away the win.
Just as exhausting was her next match against Michelle Li. The Indian once again managed to edge past Michelle Li and win a place in the main draw.
Men’s singles: Guru Sai Dutt beat Hsuan Yi Hsueh (Tpe) 16-21 21-18 21-12; Lost to Tanongsak (Tha) 22-20 21-16; Ajay Jayaram lost to Hafiz Hashim (Mas) 21-15 14-21 24-22
Women’s singles: Arundhati Pantwane bt Chen Hsiao Huan (Taipei) 18-21 21-17 21-19; bt Michelle Li (Can) 21-14 14-21 21-19
- An Olympic medal… finally!
- At Wembley, following Saina’s match
- Heading to the semis!
- At the Olympics….
- The intersection of memories… and a stolen bag
- Jr ABC: Zulkiffli outclasses Sameer
- Sameer powers into Asian Jr final
- Sindhu, Sameer crash Chinese party
- Athletes knowingly take dope: Saina
- Bonanza for Malaysian badminton
- August 2012
- October 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- April 2008
- 31,293 hits
- On Hoyer-Larsen: sportskeeda.com/2013/05/23/hoy… 3 years ago
- Dusty Trails: the latest issue :) issuu.com/dustytrails/do… 3 years ago
- My preview and predictions for the All England finals: sportskeeda.com/2013/03/10/all… 4 years ago
- Another giant of the game passes away. RIP Eddy Choong. sportskeeda.com/2013/01/29/rip… 4 years ago
- Interview with Ashwini Ponnappa: sportskeeda.com/2013/01/22/int… 4 years ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- aditi mutatkar ajay jayaram all england all england badminton anand pawar anup sridhar arundhati pantwane arvind bhat badminton badminton asia championships Badminton Asia Youth Under-19 Championships badminton association of india badminton world federation bwf chen changjie chetan anand china diju doping eriko hirose erland kops guru sai dutt hong kong super series hs prannoy indian badminton india open superseries indonesia open jwala gutta kashyap kenichi tago korea open super series lee chong wei liem swie king li lingwei lin dan li yongbo lu lan maharashtra badminton league malaysia open gp gold morten frost peter gade p kashyap porntip prakash jolly prakash padukone punch gunalan pune pv sindhu rupesh kumar ruth misha saina nehwal sai praneeth sameer verma sanave thomas singapore open singapore open superseries 2011 sourabh verma sudirman cup super series swiss open taufik hidayat thomas cup tom john uber cup wang lin wang shixian wang xin world badminton championships world games world junior championships world juniors xie xingfang youth olympics zhang ning zhu lin